Welcome to Lamp Lit.
Your comments are always welcome.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Poetry

You can take little risks on a blog right?  What is to follow hazards only a bit of self respect - and that, only supposing I'm a complete failure and the failure is published beyond the limited audience that visits here.

I've written 2 poems.  Stop grinning.  Think Browning, Shakespeare, Burns, they are all respectable men. I'm teaching a Christian Life Studies class, where we are exploring the Bible as a work of literature in some of its various genres.  This week is Poetry.  Part of my explanation of Hebrew poetry is a handful of illustrations from contemporary forms of poetic writing.  As an exercise, I thought to have the class compose some poetry at the end of the period.  Unwilling to impose on my class some task I am unwilling likewise to undertake, I have composed the following 2 poems.

In deference to the limited time I will be giving them to compose their poetry, I limited my composition to 5 minutes per poem.  So, withhold criticism if possible, and at least appreciate the 10 minutes of hard labor represented below.

Acrostic
PEACE

Praying with hope
  Even in fear
    Answers are hidden
      Can there be hope?  Yes,
        Even with tears.


Haiku (5,7,5)
The Disciple

The waves crash wildly
My bark is safe though Christ sleeps
And yet I despair
The Lord wakes and smiles
The waves are stilled as He looks

And all are amazed

Comments are welcome, as well as original content, which I would be happy to post for you.  Yes, I'm grinning.

No comments:

Post a Comment