Welcome to Lamp Lit.
Your comments are always welcome.

Monday, February 21, 2011

Another First

Yes, I'm starting another blog. I feel it's time to start writing on a different level than much of what is written in Cycling Through. There is so much that should be said and so much said that shouldn't be, that I start a second blog with hesitancy. I don't know which side the content I hope to post will fall on. I truly hope that what is found here will be worth my time to write and worth your time to read.

What is the content I hope to lay out?

To answer that, I'll answer the unasked question regarding the meaning behind the name of the blog. "Lamp Lit"

To begin, I think I've managed to create a blog title with a couple of meaningful interpretations.

1. "Your word is lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." says the Psalmist. I predict that my thoughts in regard to God's word and works, and the effect they have on my life will be expanded here. I hope that my way will continue to be lit by the lamp of God's word.

2. When you want to sit down for a few moments beneath a good book, where is it that you hope to land with book in hand? How about a soft leather sofa in a den with fireplace and wood paneling? Sounds inviting to me. Of course no sane interior designer would put track lighting or an ostentatious overhead light in such a space. Rather, at the end of the sofa stands a mission style table on which rests a picture of my lovely wife and a carved table lamp with a modest taupe cloth shade. The firelight and a singular 60 watt bulb are the lone sources of light, when, on a blustery evening I retire with Leo Tolstoy to hear more of Napoleon and Czar Alexander. To best appreciate romantic literature, a romantic atmosphere is a must. (This I say in supposition, since I currently have only the sofa noted in the above description.) For a romantic atmosphere, lamp lighting is also a must.
This long explanation leads then to this: I anticipate also, that other literary works will inspire much content found here. Thus, the play on the word "literature" in the title - Lamp Lit.

And so in describing the origin of my title, I have likewise described the anticipated content of this blog. I hope that we (you who choose to navigate here, and I) will find mutual enjoyment in those thoughts arising from what others have have kindly composed before.

No comments:

Post a Comment