Welcome to Lamp Lit.
Your comments are always welcome.

Friday, November 15, 2013

Overcomer



Becky chose "I am an Overcomer" as the theme for the girls' new school year.  She then mentioned that it seemed an appropriate theme for our entire family.  I mumbled something like, "sure, whatever."

Then my next thought was - "what have you done to us now..."  In order to be an overcomer, one must have obstacles to overcome - yes?  I am not interested in more obstacles, and I felt I had been clearing most of my obstacles rather smartly, thank you very much.  What was she wishing upon us, or what did she see coming that I was missing?

Well the adoption for one.  We had talked on and off about adoption over the years, but it has now come up before us as a real possibility, and very soon.  More about that at another time.  Suffice to say that reams of adoption paperwork, endless professional appointments, and meticulous home study preparation are all in the process of being overcome.  Add a baby to the mix sometime soon, and we will have full blown overcoming on our hands.

But dear me, this, like most of the other obstacles we face, have been erected by our own hands.  There have been few obstacles in our path that have not had the foundations poured, framework erected, and been fully adorned by anyone other than ourselves.  This results in part from our own foolishness certainly, though I think there is a more agreeable reason much of the time, or at least a composite of the two.  That is, that ground deep into our nature is the understanding that most really good things can only come as a result of hard work.  Frankly, even the "just sort of good" and "pretty good" things in life need at least a modicum of effort expended in their direction to become reality.  When we want something enough, we are normally willing to overcome some obstacles along the course we take to get at it.

But those are not the obstacles that prove most troublesome.  The troublesome ones are those which we did not, yea, could not see coming.  For example,  adoption is a large obstacle placed by ourselves into our own path, and we are patiently scaling it one handhold and one toe hold at a time.  Troublesome will be finding that a baby is waiting to be adopted, we have 1 week to prepare, I am in the middle of 3 large projects at work, the line of credit has been tapped out, the only bathtub in the house has sprung a leak, and the girls both have the flu.  And that really won't be too difficult until we discover that the neighbor's cats have recommenced using the front flower beds as a litter box.  That will become an adamant wall over which even super-heroes such as we are, cannot fly.

But then, of course, we will.  By God's grace we will mount up on those Isaiah 40:31 wings and soar right on over, or at least that's what it will look like in retrospect when we tell it to our children with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence - thank you Robert Frost.  But our Road not Taken will sure look like the better path as we scrape and scramble up the path no feet have trodden black.  You see, even Frost wrote with an understanding of retrospectiveness.   But while that works for poets writing poems, retrospect offers no balm while the wounds are being inflicted, muscles are straining, and tired eyes peer yet deeper into the gloom in search of some sign of the right path.

Overcome or be overcome.  I think of the wave that nearly toppled Ella and I one day as we stood waist deep in the cold Pacific surf.  We were overcome.  When we could see the waves coming, and we stood at just the right spot, we could overcome them with a bit of a hop and a giggle.  When we got turned around  however, the mischievous sea sent a small rolling wall to teach us a lesson about power and control.

Overcome or be overcome.  I thought how appropriate this theme was going to be, as I begin to train for my next race.  My foot has been injured for over 2 months and the nagging injury just won't heal.  For weeks, I've been telling myself that in about 2 weeks I'll be running again.  I'm still thinking that same thought today, but now even my eternal optimism has begun to get jaded.  When do I get to start being an overcomer?  When do I get to start training hard to prove that I'm an overcomer?  This is beginning to become one of those troublesome obstacles.  I feel the sea building behind me

I don't want a lingering injury obstacle.  I want a previous injury obstacle.  The obstacle that I have right now, is getting out of control.  The obstacle I want, can be managed by discipline and hard work.  I want to soar with wings like an eagle right through the winter on a training regimen that will be difficult yet allow me to find success in the end.  I don't want to think about having to wait on the Lord for 6 months so that I can say I soared to some other destination.  I know which obstacles I want to overcome.

And so, I think I'm on to something.  It's not really about the obstacle.  It's not really about overcoming the obstacle.  It's about attitude.  And, stop nodding your head in that self-possessed smug manner in which you are nodding it.  I know you knew that already.  So did I.  But doggone if it doesn't seem to come to mind at the right times, and if it does, it appears to be an impossible and unrealistic possibility.  Endure hardship with the right attitude and it will be alright in the end?  Come-on, Paul, really?  In whatever condition - content?  Let me pick and choose my obstacles and I'll choose the ones I know how to clear.

Do I trust the Creator to place appropriate obstacles in my path?  I guess not very well.  Being an overcomer isn't going to be easy.






1 comment:

  1. Many, many thoughts and verses. Surprise, surprise. Cannot wait to talk, so will write some of the thoughts. And before I start, I am not nodding smugly---it is with the understanding, having done this, not yet gotten the T-shirt---long, long way to go, but this is what God is showing me along the way.

    I am going to throw out some thoughts, then tie them together---hopefully they won't be so far flung, that I cannot get them to come back.
    Check out how many times God says the battle is the Lord's, that He would fight for them. At the Red Sea for instance and in II Chronicles 20 when Jehoshaphat was told by the prophet in verse 15, not not be afraid or dismayed, because the battle was not his, but God's.
    And many times it talks about God fighting their battles because they put their trust in Him. For instance, I Chronicles 5:20. It wasn't because they were wise or strong, but because they trusted God, that the victory was theirs. Many verses in Psalm have this theme. Will not share all of them now, but check out Psalm 31 and 33.
    I remember what you said at your Bible study the last time we were there about kings not multiplying horses. Got me thinking as to why. Will have to share with you some of my thoughts. But think of II KIngs 6:1-18 and what the Lord told Samuel inn I Samuel 8:6.

    "Let me pick and chose my obstacles and I'll chose the ones I know how to clear." Quote from your writing. I thought how if you can clear them, does God really get glory? I think of the amazing answers to prayer in the adoptions of Daniel and Micah, I know I told you them, so will not go into it, but it I am convinced God worked the way He did so that if would be obvious it was all of God and nothing of man. God intends to be glorified and that is the job of man to do so. I remember asking and asking God to give Stacy and Rich children of their own flesh, telling him that it would bring glory to His name. This was even after they decided on adoption. One day as I was begging God, He told me in my mind--"THIS is the way I have chosen ("this" being adoption) to get glory to My Name. So I never asked Him again to work it any differently than through the adoption. And the answers to the prayers I prayed,I tell over and over to anyone who will listen, because it is about God and He deserves the glory for it all, for they were obstacles that only He could and did clear.

    I cannot think of the radio speaker's name, but I will never forget what he said: "Do you want an easy way out, or a victorious way through?" Many times, I have said, "UH, I'll take the easy way out, if you don't mind." But I really do not want that.

    So many other thoughts, but I will save them, just in case you want to hear them.

    PS notice in the II Chronicles 20 chapter verses 21, 22. Praise (thankfulness) then the victory. Must bring my 1000 Gifts book. I know you can hardly wait, now!!

    Love and prayers,
    Mama

    ReplyDelete