Welcome to Lamp Lit.
Your comments are always welcome.

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Louie and the Wolf

Riding the indoor trainer is a last resort.  When running or cycling outside is unusually impractical, I'll spend an hour sweating it out on the exercise bike.  I'm not sure that these contraptions weren't present in the Gulags or Japanese prison camps - they are torture to the mind (and body) if you have the fortitude to make it so.

My diversion in the past has been a sort of documentary I found on Hulu, Battlefront, a series of 30 minute episodes chronologically portraying the phases and battles of WWII using veterans' interviews and a bunch of old black and white footage.  I found it to be interesting, as did Ella, to the chagrin of my wife.  As the GI's charge across the Solomon Islands, I pour sweat too, following along on my bicycle. Bombs crash, airplane engines drone overhead, and the cranks of the trainer creak as I push the resistance up one more level to keep up.

But they seem to have pulled the series from Hulu.  Last time I rode the trainer I settled for a series of documentaries on how they record various outdoor extreme sports such as Heli-skiing, Downhill Mountain biking, etc.  Interesting enough, but for this morning, Sunday morning, I needed something more likely to prepare me for worship.

I've seen Louie Giglio's presentations in the past on YouTube, and his being the only name coming readily to mind, I started searching for a presentation that was about an hour long.  51:22 for one titled Symphony (I Lift My Hands) seemed good enough, so I started spinning and hit play.  Louie Giglio is an accomplished communicator and is doing a great job connecting with today's youth, but he also managed to communicate with me.  If you've been connected to the internet for much time at all you've likely come across his presentation of the stars, whales, and Chris Tomlin singing How Great is Our God together.  It's spine tingling and likely to cause one of those goofy grins that you realize too late, but only because you see everyone else wearing the same expression.

That same presentation was integrated into this video, and so I nearly stopped it and looked for something new and different - but I had to let him finish the song.  I'm glad I did because the remainder was a challenge to live a life of worship.  I won't spoil the video since I think you should watch it for yourself.

But why am I pushing a YouTube video?  Because it was just what I needed.  Friday, we spoke via conference call to the mother of a little boy - yet to be born.  Her life and ours seem to have been chosen by God to meet for that fireside chat Bec wrote about last time.  The tiny, developing baby boy that she carries now, will - God willing - someday be our son.  We've started signing papers and making lists. The blizzard seems to have lifted momentarily - just as long as we don't think about it too much.

If we carry the blizzard analogy forward, there is now another element.  A black shadow now darts in and out among the trees as we plunge ahead.  Why didn't I see him sooner?  This malignant wolf obviously has my scent.  I know his name.  Anxiety.  We've met before.

Over 4 years ago he shredded me as I tripped along the path toward the delivery of our 2nd daughter.  The loss of our son Ezekiel, and the passing of a friend's wife at the delivery of her baby put the beast on my scent from the instant Bec showed me the positive test.  Anxiety nearly ate me alive then, and has been nearby ever since.

I needed that video.  The wolf is padding through the shadows again, and I could really use some ammunition.  Why didn't I see him sooner?  Because the blizzard was too much, and all I could do is look for the right path.  Now the path is more clear...and so are a lot of other things.  The mother of our son has a name.  She has needs.  We have a due date.  We have needs.  The pitfalls ahead are innumerable, and that hound has begun pointing them all out in an effort to get us off the path.

I could really use some ammunition.  I got it this morning.  Worship.

BLAM!

I hit him this morning with the biggest shell at my disposal.  Anxiety stumbled and plowed a furrow in a drift before howling off into the woods.  It felt good to shoot back.  Worship packs a punch.  But I'll be out of ammunition soon, I realize, and will need to get more.  In another video?  No, I didn't get that ammunition from the video - I got it from God's Word.  Yes, Louie let me borrow some of his ammo, shared with me through a video, but there is an endless supply right now within arm's reach.

Supplied with ample shells found neatly arranged between the brown leather covers of an ancient book, I intend to blast that old enemy again and again.  I've known that I have the upper hand on Anxiety and can conquer it at any time by tapping into God's infinite supply of peace and strength.  Yet, a simple message was necessary to remind me of what I already know.  I hope you can benefit from it too.








2 comments:

  1. Oh---there is so much I could share of what God has been teaching me in this area, but the great joy that overwhelmed me as I read this is that joy that only a parent can feel, when they see their child "walking in truth". As I read, I kept thinking, "he gets it". God is the answer. Rest in God. The peace of God. Peace that ONLY He can give.

    This is an area of struggle for me and I have done much in the way of word study of verses and one in particular, I want to share is Isaiah 26:3,4 "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. Trust ye in the LORD forever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength."
    As I looked in the concordance to see what the Hebrews meanings of the words of this verse were, I was very surprised at the words "perfect" and "peace". I discovered that the Strong's number for "perfect" was the same as the number for "peace". There were both the same word. I remembered how P. Vaughn had told us that the Hebrew language in order to emphasize a word it would be repeated. So the verse actually would read "Thou wilt keep him in "peace, peace".........
    As I thought on that, I realized the abundance of peace I could have, with my thoughts stayed on the Lord-----The LORD JEHOVAH. And that name carries with it the meaning of the fact that God is the One true God, the self-existent God. And that He desires to have a relationship with His covenant people. All I have to do is stay my mind on Him.
    And, as I learned in the book you and Becky sent me the Christmas before last, the choice to be thankful in everything and for everything, even the tiniest thing, develops in us an awareness of God, the Giver of all. And where God is there is light and light dispels darkness and shadows.

    My mother heart thrills and I wanted to shout: "Way to 'grow', way to 'grow', Son".

    "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble"
    The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge."
    Selah-----just think about that!! Psa 46:1,11.

    I love you, Son.
    Love and prayer,
    Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise the Lord for his working....praying with you about this little boy.

    ReplyDelete