Welcome to Lamp Lit.
Your comments are always welcome.

Sunday, August 2, 2015

God, Our Source of Joy



I have a handful of unforgettable snapshots framed on the walls of my memory.  One was the view out the window of my truck as I was driving one night.  The high fog had been rolling across the Diablo Valley, compelling the full moon into a game of hide and seek.  As I drove, a steady glow proved that the moon had, at least temporarily, run clear of the clouds.  I leaned against my side window to glance up at that familiar yet condescending white face. The view took my breath away.   The moon shone like a searchlight surrounded by a salting of veiled stars - in the exact center of a perfectly round, giant, glowing hole in the clouds.  I nearly drove off the road as I stared up through that heavenly portal.

Another is a mental snapshot of the Martinez Hills above the Carquinez Strait.  Out running early one morning, I came up into the hills from the east.  The sun still lingered below the horizon behind me, the air was heavy but not quite foggy.  It was early spring and the hillsides were carpeted with young green grass.  As I crested a ridge, I could see the hills rolling away, piling atop one another until at about a mile distant, the verdant hilltops touched, then blended into the sky.  The scene was so simple in its beauty.  A mere duet of color - spring green grass against the shifting gray of a cloudy morning sky.

How can photos capture those moments of beauty that stop you in your tracks?

In both scenarios, I was alone, no one to share the beauty with, and really no way to adequately capture the moment for sharing later.  I used to be disappointed at times like that, knowing that I couldn't share the moment with anyone.  Until one day it occurred to me that I was sharing the moment with someone.  And, not only that, I was enjoying the moment with the Artist who had conceived and created such a magnificent setting.  I recognized that God, the original, quintessential artist, had prepared that particular view for Him and me - alone.  That scene in that moment was ours to share.  He had given me a gift, and it was mine to enjoy in his presence.

When I began thinking about joy, those were the first images - the first thoughts that came to my mind.  Often men talk about the joy of holding their children shortly after birth.  For me, births were times for other emotions and other thoughts - bewilderment, fear, anxiety - what have we gone and gotten ourselves into now?  For me, the joy came later as I built a relationship with each child.  Joy comes in seeing them recognize me across a crowded room.  Joy comes in hearing them say "daddy's home!"

We read the list of spiritual fruits that we should be cultivating and joy can be found there. We read Paul's letter to the Phillipians where he speaks eloquently about his joy in the Lord, and of his joy in so many different situations - including painful and difficult ones.  And those illustrate how joy can be maintained in spite of circumstances and can be utilized to serve others.  Sometimes it does take a little work to be joyful.

But just for a moment, I want you to think about the Source of joy.  Settle back into the joy of being alone with He who is the benevolent Source of joy.  ...the joy found in a pause, to draw in a scent that takes you back to a happy time.  ...the joy found in a sunrise or a sunset.  ...the joy of being in God's presence as you sip His coffee and turn the pages of His book on a rainy Saturday morning.  God loves us, and that alone should bring us joy. But don't forget that he is a giver, and he anxiously awaits opportunities to demonstrate that love and bless us with joy.

Henry J. van Dyke wrote the following verses and attached them to the most familiar passages from Beethoven's 9th Symphony.

Joyful, joyful, we adore Thee,
God of glory, Lord of love;
hearts unfold like flow'rs before Thee,
Opening to the Sun above,
Melt the clouds of sin and sadness;
drive the dark of doubt away;
Giver of immortal gladness,
fill us with the light of day!

All Thy works with joy surround Thee,
earth and heav'n reflect Thy rays,
stars and angels sing around Thee,
center of unbroken praise:
Field and forest, vale and mountain,
Flow'ry meadow, flashing sea,
chanting bird and flowing fountain,
call us to rejoice in Thee.

Thou art giving and forgiving,
ever blessing, ever blest,
well-spring of the joy of living,
ocean-depth of happy rest!
Thou the Father, Christ our Brother,—
all who live in love are Thine:
Teach us how to love each other,
lift us to the Joy Divine.

Mortals join the mighty chorus,
which the morning stars began;
Father-love is reigning o'er us,
brother-love binds man to man.
Ever singing, march we onward,
victors in the midst of strife;
joyful music lifts us sunward
in the triumph song of life.

Joyful, joyful, we adore Thee,
God of glory, Lord of love;

1 comment:

  1. As I read your post, I surveyed my own gallery of unforgettable memory photos. One in particular stood out.

    On on of the trips to Tupelo with your father, we were discussing our new place of residence, and how very much we enjoyed it. However, the one thing, I very much missed was not being able to see the sunrises that I enjoyed at our other house. We moved on to other topics and did not give another thought to that conversation until early the next morning.
    Because your father had to leave early for a work meeting, I got up early to go down to breakfast with him at the motel. As we turned left out of our room to the stairwell at the end of the hallway, I saw the huge picture window, but what was framed by that window took my breath away. There was the most beautiful sunrise, I had ever seen. That was put there by God for me to enjoy, I have no doubt. I stood there for quite some time just absorbing into my mind's eye the beautiful blending of the pinks, oranges ,and yellows that God had used to paint the sky for my enjoyment. My heart overflowed with gratitude for I knew it was a gift from my Heavenly Father.
    I have other sunrise photos in my memory gallery, however, none as special as that, for that showed to me a giving, loving God, Who cares about even my smallest desires and meets them in big ways.
    Psalm 145:1-3
    I will extol thee, my God, O king,; and I will bless thy name for ever and ever, Every day will I bless thee; and I will praise thy name for ever and ever. Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised; and his greatness is unsearchable.

    ReplyDelete